OASW Marketing Campaign (2015-2016)
What We've Done
1. Campaign Ad Images & Posters
Goal: Based on market research that confirms low awareness and low perceived value of the profession by the general public, to shift the perception of social workers.
• The Association worked with experts in communications, advertising and market research to develop concepts that were tested with members of the public to ensure the language and visual elements had the intended effect.
• The testing looked at three core dimensions: Impact, Message and Motivation/Action.
• All aspects - visual image and wording - tested well with the public, confirming that the images generated strong positive recall of social workers.
• Of note, the research confirmed that among the majority of public respondents (70%), the tagline "Real Experts for Real Life" helped make the ad more effective overall, more so than what is traditionally seen in terms of tagline impact. Feedback from the market research indicated that the public wants to receive services from, "experts".
2. Member Launch/Survey
Goal: Help members gain insight into the marketing campaign objectives and their role in contributing to the initiative's success; and enhance member awareness, engagement and feedback.
• Share the ad images and posters;
• Work with OASW Branches to help spread the images in the community;
• Provide information to members on the images and how to engage in the campaign ; and
• Conduct a member survey.
• OASW members overwhelmingly support the effort to
market the profession.
• Not all members felt they understood the intent of the ads/messages.
• Some members felt that there was not enough diversity represented in the first four images.
• Not all members are in social media, however there are considerable opportunities in this area under the leadership of OASW.
• Not all members were clear on how this campaign was shared in the public (see Public Soft Launch below).
• Not all members had the time or ability to add the tagline to their signature.
• We need to look at different ways to engage members in this campaign.
3. Public Soft Launch
Goal: Begin to shape the public perception of social workers. Demonstrate the relevance of social workers in people's lives and increase the likelihood that they will seek services from social workers in the future, taking into account OASW's modest media budget.
• Share campaign ads in 'targeted' paid advertising and articles in the media.
• A full-page ad in the March 2016 issue of On-The-Go Magazine distributed at 792 pick-up points in the GTA with 80,000 printed copies and 100,000+ screen ads (on 94 screens in the GTA)
• Editorial for community and weekly papers across the province.