OASW Nominee for Government of Ontario Volunteer Service Awards
Purpose: The purpose of the Government of Ontario Volunteer Service Award is to honour the many Ontarians who generously contribute their time as volunteers to a large number of organizations and associations. The award recognizes volunteers who have provided service over many years.
Description: The award consists of a certificate and pin presented in ceremonies across Ontario.
Selection Criteria: OASW may submit up to seven (6) nominations to the Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration annually.
All candidates selected by OASW must be members. Moreover, candidates must have been active in OASW carrying specific roles and responsibilities (i.e., involvement extends beyond simply holding membership).
Selection process will be guided by the following factors:
- Have volunteered with OASW for a minimum of 5 consecutive years. If more than 6 nominations are received, the Board or Selection Committee will use their discretion to identify the most appropriate candidates. The Government of Ontario stipulates as a criteria serving 5 consecutive years as a volunteer in a single organization. The following levels of awards are prescribed (5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30+, 40+).
- Candidates will reflect a variety of practice sectors/areas of interest (e.g., social justice, human rights, children and families, health care) and types of practice (e.g., clinical, research, policy).
- Candidates will be considered from regions across the province.
- Candidates will be considered from a range of volunteer roles and activities, e.g., serving on Branch and/or Provincial Boards, committees and task groups, involvement in projects and initiatives.
Award Presentation: The recipients will receive an invitation from the Ontario Honours and Awards Secretariat to an award ceremony in their local community.
- OASW Branches, Committees and Provincial Board Members can nominate candidates for this award.
- The nomination must be made in writing to the Nominating Committee highlighting the nominee's achievements and qualities, which make her/him deserving of this award.
- The OASW Nominating Committee will make the final selections.
Nominations Deadline: Early January, annually