Host a "Lunch and Learn" seminar for other professionals/staff
- Choose a topic that highlights the profession's relevance
- Topics might include: negotiating the role of caregiver with adult siblings; identifying when you should encourage a family member/close friend to consider counselling; etc.
Use the organization's broadcast screens to announce Social Work Week
- This can include a message from the director/CEO recognizing social workers.
Simple ideas to cover costs of display/posters/recognition gifts
- Reach out to potential sponsors & community partners to fund small gift bags or reception
- Host a bake sale to raise funds for professional development
- Contribute $2 to $5 each for a small fund*
OASW provides promotional materials at cost.
Visit SHOP OASW here or download order form, attached, and fax in.
Also available for download to print your own 2017 Social Work Week Poster, attached.
More Ideas to Celebrate Social Work Week
Information Displays & Distribution
- Adapt OASW’s simple quiz for non-social workers and offer a door prize.
- Develop display boards about social work programs/services for various community sites
- Develop an article for publication in the newsletter within your agency/hospital/organization which highlights the role and contribution of social work as an allied profession within the overall health system
- Host a “Lunch and Learn” seminar or a brown bag speaker for the profession on a timely topic
- View and discuss a workshop/presentation on OASW’s website (e.g., Professor Robert Solomon speaking on legal issues).
Promotion of Social Work with Other Professionals and Community
- Invite a key leader of your organization/agency to lunch to celebrate and talk about the role of social workers.
- Organize an information session on social work services or programs to other professionals or the public
- Offer a public information night (offer door prizes). Talk about the role of social work in the community.
- Submit an article to the local newspaper on a timely topic that underlines services provided by the profession.
- Organize a Social Work Appreciation Breakfast or a Social Work Staff Celebration Lunch (for smaller agencies/organizations, join with other agencies in your area)
- Plan a networking luncheon and invite colleagues from other agencies.
Recognition of Social Workers
- Approach community partners to donate lunches and raffle gift baskets for social workers
- Host Social Work Recognition Awards
- Request that municipality declare Social Work Week and announce it by email and bulletin
- Approach a local business to donate an item that can be raffled during Social Work Week with proceeds to be donated to a charitable organization that is addressing issues of concern to the profession, etc.
If you would like to add to these ideas, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.