A Message from the Student Director - Daniel Pugh
Dear Social Work Student:
Congratulations on choosing social work as your profession. A career in social work provides a diverse range of exciting opportunities in which to apply the knowledge and skills you will be acquiring in your social work program.
We hope that you will have a productive academic year. As the term begins, we wanted to highlight a few exciting OASW membership benefits/resources:
- The OASW publication, Tips and Advice on Conducting a Social Work Job Search, with topics including: today's social work job market; how jobs can be located; what employers want; a self-assessment; job search on the Internet, networking; a job search tool kit; the job interview; and much more.
- OASW's Job Search Initiative, the goal of which is to provide OASW members with short-term access to Experienced Social Workers who can demystify the job search process and provide advice and perspective on job search strategies.
- OASW's online job search site, SocialWorkJobs.ca, which is affiliated with Workopolis to provide a comprehensive job-networking tool. The user-friendly website enables Association members to not only search for social work positions but also make job applications online and post CVs.
- We encourage you to watch the 3 following videos below:
- Differences between OASW and OCSWSSW (Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers) Gillian McCloskey, Associate Executive Director;
- Why students join OASW, Joan MacKenzie Davies; and
- Shira Moalem, former OASW Student Director (2011-2013), talking about what students say about the value of membership with the Association.
There are many benefits of becoming a member of OASW:
- Stay current and save time with critical information.
- Make your voice heard by joining in collective advocacy to benefit society and social work clients.
- Ensure that decision-makers recognize the contribution of social workers.
- Network and engage with colleagues at the local and provincial levels. And so much more.
Student membership costs $99 annually. Join now and benefit from reduced membership fees for the first two years following graduation.
Explore the rest of OASW's website and learn more about the role of the Association as the voice for social workers in Ontario.
Becoming a member of OASW strengthens the social work profession and gives social workers and clients a stronger voice.
Ensure that social work has a strong, unified presence. Support social work in Ontario. Join OASW. It's your voice!
Please also visit:
Video: Ontario Association of Social Workers - What's in it For Students?
If you have any questions, contact us!
Have a great year!
OASW Student Director
Joan MacKenzie Davies, MSW, Res.Dip.S.W., RSW