Health Care Advisory Group
The purpose of the Health Care Advisory Group is to provide leadership and advice to OASW in order to promote and enhance the role of social work in the health care sector in the areas of policy, practice, research, education and advocacy.
Its goals include:
- To identify, prioritize and advise OASW on concrete ways to address health care issues that cut cross practice settings and impact on practice, giving particular attention to issues of access by vulnerable and marginalized populations.
- To ensure that health care issues are considered and articulated within the broader context of the social determinants of health.
- To monitor and advise OASW on ways to respond to proposed and existing legislation and/or regulations impacting on social work practice in health care.
- To monitor, respond and advise OASW on trends in the broader health care sector that have the potential to impact social work practice, employment and/or professional opportunities.
- To develop strategies to increase the availability and access to health care services based upon consultation with other stakeholders.
- To ensure that issues of diversity are considered throughout the work that the OASW Advisory Task Group does.
Shelley Allen, Chair (Durham/Kawartha Branch)
Melissa Berry (Northwestern Branch)
Susan Haller (Huronia Highlands Branch)
Stephen Porter (Central Ontario Branch)
Lisa Smith (Western Branch)
Jane Vock (Hamilton Branch)
Joan MacKenzie Davies, Chief Executive Officer
Jasmine Ferreira, Communications/Public Relations Manager (Central Ontario Branch)
The Health Care Advisory Group continues to monitor changes in the funding and delivery of social work services within hospitals and community-based health care services. This information has been used to inform advocacy positions taken by the Association on health care issues, particularly as they relate to the provision of social work services and emerging roles for social workers. OASW participated in the consultation with the MOHLTC Lead for Ontario Seniors Strategy, at which time we promoted the role of social workers in providing services to the frail elderly and their caregivers, especially as members of inter-professional teams in the "House Calls" initiative. Additional activities included: updating OASW's 2005 role statement for social workers working in hospital-based services and the 2005 role statement for social workers working in primary health care. The latter role statement is also being expanded from its current focus on Family Health Teams to encompass Nurse Practitioner-Led Clinics and Community Health Centres.
The Nominating Committee is mandated in the Association's bylaws to call for nominations for Executive Officers and to oversee the election process.
The Nominating Committee also provides recommendations for awards. Click Awards for more information.
The Nominating Committee is reappointed annually following the Annual General Meeting as set out by Association bylaws.
Dr. Ellen Sue Mesbur, Chair (Vice-President, Social and Professional Advocacy) (Central Ontario Branch)
Cathy Farrell (Northwestern Branch)
Patrick Fleming (Western Branch)
Christina Harrington (Hamilton-Niagara Regional Director)
Martine Surprenant, Francophone Director (Eastern Branch)
Nancy Webb (Central Ontario Regional Director)
Evelyn Weger (Eastern Branch)
Joan MacKenzie Davies, Chief Executive Officer
School Social Work Committee
The purpose of the School Social Work Committee is to develop, promote and advocate for the practice of school social work in Ontario.
Its goals are:
- To monitor proposed changes in legislation relevant to school social work and make input.
- To advise the Board on professional practice guidelines and issues pertinent to school social work.
- To establish and maintain communication with OASW members involved in school social work.
- To liaise with:
- other OASW committees
- the Ministry of Education, and other relevant ministries and government bodies
- oother organizations in the field of education
- To systematically collect, organize and publish information and professional literature on school social work.
- To inform the public about developments in school social work.
- To deal with current policy and service issues which have an impact on the educational setting.
- To monitor regularly and evaluate annually the accomplishments of the above goals.
Committee Members (2017-2018)
Gabriella D’Ambrosio, Past Chair (Hamilton Branch)
Rose D'Alimonte, Manager of Social Work/Attendance (Central Ontario Branch)
Carmela Diano, Treasurer (Central Ontario Branch)
Todd Elliott, Secretary (Central Ontario Branch)
Andréanne Fleck Saito, Ministry Representative (Central Ontario Branch)
Tracey Grose, Vice-Chair (Durham/Kawartha Branch)
Jessie Grosz (Midwestern Branch)
Miguel Guayasamin, Chair (Hamilton Branch)
Saleem Haniff, Communications (Central Ontario Branch)
Vanessa Rankin (OASW Liaison)
Nancy McHardy (Central Ontario Branch)
Monika Sudds (Central Ontario Branch)
Kristi Gordon (Hamilton Branch)
Santino Carbone (Hamilton Branch)
Marianne Saade & Lydie Rusaki, shared position (Central Ontario Branch)