Skip to main content
Vision, Mission & Values
Board of Directors
Difference Between OASW & OCSWSSW
Nominations & Elections
Portal for Branch Boards
Coalitions, Alliances & Partnerships
Committees & Advisory Groups
What We Do
Marketing the Profession
Social Justice/Social Advocacy
OASW Key Achievements
Social Work Now
Annual General Meeting 2018
OASW Provincial Conference 2018
OASW Online Certificate
Member Appreciation Event 2017
Other Upcoming Events
OASW Provincial Conference 2016
OASW Provincial Conference 2014
OASW Provincial Conference 2012
Member Appreciation Event 2015
Member Appreciation Event 2013
Annual General Meeting 2017
Annual General Meeting 2016
Annual General Meeting 2015
Annual General Meeting 2014
Call for Nominations for OASW Board of Directors
It is an exciting time to serve on OASW’s Provincial Board of Directors. Consider how your leadership skills can help OASW and the social work profession move forward with a clear vision for the future.
OASW is currently seeking nominations for the following positions on the Board of Directors for the term of office 2018-2020:
• Regional Representative - Central Ontario Region
• Regional Representative - Eastern Region
• Regional Representative - Hamilton-Niagara Region
• Francophone Director
The OASW Board of Directors is composed of 14 members. Terms of office are staggered so that not all positions are up for election at the same time. The President, Vice-Presidents, Treasurer-Secretary and Past President comprise the Executive Committee.
All OASW members are entitled to nominate persons to run for these positions.
Nominees can self-nominate.
Deadline for nominations: February 21, 2018
Qualities Sought in Candidates for OASW Officers and Directors
• A commitment to the vision, purpose, mandate, and goals of OASW.
• A keen interest and involvement in the issues impacting the profession of Social Work and the client groups it serves.
• Demonstrated leadership skills.
• A strong ability to work effectively within a team environment.
• The ability to think and act strategically.
• Exceptional communication skills.
OASW encourages nominations of all qualified individuals including Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, members of racially and ethnically diverse communities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity.
Timelines for Nominations
January 24 to February 21, 2018
on nominated candidates for each position will be conducted
March 7 and March 28, 2018
March 29, 2018
• Their two-year
May 4, 2018
• The new Board of Directors will be introduced to members at the
Annual General Meeting on May 4, 2018 and will meet in Toronto May 5-6, 2018
Upon receipt of your nomination, you will be contacted by Joan MacKenzie Davies, Chief Executive Officer, or the Chair of the Nominating Committee to discuss the role and responsibilities of the Officer/Director positions.
If prior to the teleconference you have any immediate questions, please do not hesitate to contact Joan MacKenzie Davies, Chief Executive Officer, directly at 416-923-4848 ext. 232 or
Additional information is available from the OASW Provincial Office, including:
• Strategy Map
• Annual Report
Contact Rita Mascherin at
to obtain any of these documents.
For the Nomination Form and Background Information on the Board of Directors, see attached PDFs.
Ces renseignements sont disponibles en français.
- The Nominating Committee is mandated in the Association's bylaws to call for nominations for Executive Officers and Board Directors and to oversee the election process.
- The Nominating Committee also provides recommendations for awards. Click
for more information.
- The Nominating Committee is reappointed annually following the Annual General Meeting as set out by Association bylaws.
Dr. Ellen Sue Mesbur, Chair (Vice-President, Social and Professional Advocacy)
Cathy Farrell (Northwestern Branch)
Patrick Fleming (Western Branch)
Christina Harrington (Hamilton-Niagara Regional Director)
Martine Surprenant, Francophone Director (Eastern Branch)
Nancy Webb (Central Ontario Regional Director)
Evelyn Weger (Eastern Branch)
Joan MacKenzie Davies, Chief Executive Officer
Difference Between OASW and OCSWSSW
2018 Nomination Form
(Adobe PDF File)
2018 Nomination Background Information
(Adobe PDF File)