OASW Life Membership
Purpose: To recognize and profile the outstanding contribution to the Association and the profession of long-standing members.
Description: Life Members are not required to pay membership fees and are entitled to exercise all of the rights and benefits of other Association members, including holding office. They are expected to adhere to the CASW Code of Ethics and if they hold membership in the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers (OCSWSSW), must adhere to the OCSWSSW’s Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice. Unless revoked, Life Membership is retained for the life of the member.
Life Membership may be granted to OASW members who meet the following criteria as set out in the by-laws:
- Have been members of OASW for not less than twenty (20) years, which period of time need not be consecutive.
- Have practiced social work for not less than twenty (20) years, which period of time need not be consecutive.
- Have made an outstanding contribution to the Association and/or to the profession of social work as determined by a Board vote.
At no time shall the number of Life Members exceed Fifteen (15).
- Ten (10) OASW members must nominate the candidate.
- The nomination must be made in writing to the Association's Executive Director, highlighting the nominee's achievements and qualities, which make her/him deserving of this award.
- The Nominating Committee will review nominations and make a recommendation to the Board of Directors.
- A majority of votes cast by the Board of Directors must be received by the candidate in order for them to be granted Life Membership.
A Life Membership certificate, accompanied by a letter from the Chief Executive Officer, is sent to the recipient.
The award may also be presented at the Annual General Meeting, which happens in annually in May.
Nomination Deadline: Ad hoc